Sunday, April 17, 2011

B:TB&tB episode 15

B:TB&tB episode 15 by William Joseph Dunn
B:TB&tB episode 15, a photo by William Joseph Dunn on Flickr.
B:TB&tB episode 15 "Trials of the Demon!" Directed by Micheal Chang.

As soon as we started this episode, the Hammer horror films of the 60's and 70's were mentioned as a possible source of inspiration. I looked at a few of those as well as Francis Ford Coppola's 1992 film "Dracula". What I wanted to do with this episode is to start off with a pallet that would give the feeling of a cold damp London and slowly bring in more color as the episode progressed. As you can see in the interior of the windmill background, I added an emerald green moon lit sky as the rain clouds part. I wanted to have a drastic shift in the color when we end up in the underworld. Around that time, I was watching the "Coffin Joe" movies "At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul" and "This Night I Will Possess Your Corpse". "This Night I Will Possess Your Corpse" is mostly in black and white, but right in the middle of the film, the Coffin Joe character ends up in Hades and all of a sudden the film is in vibrant color. That's kind of what I was going for here. Looking at these backgrounds now, I kind of wish I went a little more cold and monochromatic in the London backgrounds so the underworld backgrounds would "pop" even more when you got to that scene. Oh well, live and learn.

"Batman: The Brave and the Bold" ™Warner Bros. Animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment